Social Security Beneficiaries
Services for Social Security Beneficiaries
Ticket To Work Project
(Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security – PABSS)
The Ticket to Work Project at Equip for Equality assists individuals who are facing barriers to employment. Individuals can receive Ticket to Work services if they are:
- Receiving cash benefits due to disability from the Social Security Administration (SSA). This includes SSI and/or SSDI benefits
- Entitled to Medicaid or Medicare benefits as a result of having received cash benefits, even if they are not currently receiving cash benefits from SSA
- Receiving a supplemental payment from a state
Our Services Include:
- Training regarding the Ticket to Work Program, employment rights, and vocational rehabilitation rights for people with disabilities and service organizations
- Information, advice, and self-advocacy assistance about obtaining vocational rehabilitation and employment services
- Advocacy or other services that beneficiaries with disabilities may need to secure, maintain or regain employment
Representative Payee Program
Equip for Equality’s Representative Payee Program helps both beneficiaries and representative payees. Beneficiaries are the recipients of Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. Rep payees are the individuals or organizations who manage Social Security benefits. SSA assesses a beneficiary’s need for a rep payee on a case-by-case basis. Equip for Equality’s role is meant to help keep beneficiaries safe and ensure their needs are met by conducting performance reviews to discover whether or not a representative payee is carrying out its duties.
Have questions about Representative Payees or Beneficiaries? Learn more about our Representative Payee Program.
- Overview of the Americans with Disabilities Act (video)
- Employment Rights Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (video)
- Reasonable Accommodations Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (video)
- Disability-Related Inquiries and Medical Examinations Under the ADA (video)
- Qualified Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (video)
- Have employment related questions? Contact our Employment Rights Clinic.
- Employment Tools for Veterans with Disabilities – a resource from the Social Security Administration
The PASS work incentive allows individuals to set aside income and/or resources for a specified period, so they can pursue a work goal that will ultimately reduce or eliminate the Social Security Income or Social Security Disability benefit they currently receive.
SSI and SSDI Benefits
- Appealing Decisions About Benefits or Insurance, including decisions made by the Social Security Administration (video, PDF, or Word)
- Learn more about our Representative Payee Program.
Ticket to Work
(Click on each chapter below, and hit the Back and Next buttons to play sections of each chapter. The audio plays automatically, but you’ll need to click the Caption button to see captioning.)
312-278-7001 (video phone)
- Get legal help
- Check out our Resources for Social Security Beneficiaries
- Go to our Abuse and Neglect Issues page
Last updated: April 29, 2019