Find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our Helpline. Just click on a question below to reveal the answer associated with it.
Call our toll-free Helpline at 1-866-KIDS-046 (866-543-7046).
Our Helpline staff can assist you by providing:
- Someone you can talk to about your child’s rights in school
- Information sheets on frequently asked questions
- Sample letters and forms
- Other assistance as needed
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (central time).
If you call when our Helpline is closed or if we are not able to take your call right away, you can:
- Leave a message on the Special Education Clinic/Helpline voicemail at any time and we will return your call.
- Fill out our Helpline questionnaire and email it to us.
Here’s what you should know when calling the Special Education Helpline:
- Our Helpline staff will try to talk to you right away. If we can’t take your call, you can leave a message and we will return your call within three working days.
- We will ask you some background questions so we can figure out how to help you.
- Calls with our Helpline staff usually last from 30 minutes to one hour.
- If you are calling about someone else’s child, we will need their parents or guardians to contact us too.
- If the assistance you get from our Helpline is not successful and you need further help, we may be able to provide legal representation at critical school meetings, expulsion hearings, negotiations, due process administrative hearings and court. However, we only offer these services in limited cases and only if we have available resources.
Review our Cases We Handle page for information about the specific types of issues we deal with and cases we handle.
- View our Helpline Resources page
- See real examples of how our Helpline has helped children in Illinois
- Donate to our Equality for Kids Campaign
- Get legal help
Last updated: October 08, 2018