Charter Schools Project
In August 2013, Equip for Equality launched a project to provide legal representation to children with disabilities in Illinois charter schools who have unmet special education needs. We receive generous funding from the Skadden Fellowship Foundation. The Charter School Project’s mission is to help Illinois children by increasing their academic achievement and educational opportunities, and by protecting their legal rights under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). The project:
- Provides direct legal representation in special education matters, including at eligibility meetings, special education IEP meetings, mediations, due process hearings and discipline proceedings
- Teaches self-advocacy skills by providing guidance, fact sheets and trainings to parents and other stakeholders on the legal rights of students with disabilities in Illinois charter schools
- Will work with other student advocates and organizations to increase public transparency and oversight of how well charter schools include and serve students with disabilities
For information about EFE’s Spring 2015 comments on the Chicago Public Schools’ charter school reauthorization process click here.
For information about EFE’s August 2015 audit of charter school enrollment practices click here.
- View our Charter School Fact Sheet (PDF)
- View our Special Education Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page
- Donate to our Equality for Kids Fund
- Get legal help
Last updated: August 17, 2015