What are the benefits of community integration?
Community living has many benefits for people with disabilities. People with disabilities generally have the same wants and needs as nondisabled people. Unfortunately, institutional living does not give people with disabilities the freedom to satisfy these needs. Moving into the community can open up a whole new world for people with disabilities by providing them:
- A choice of where and with whom they live
- The ability to see friends and family more often
- The opportunity to work in the community
- The opportunity to develop new hobbies
- The opportunity to participate in the life of the community by going to the library, restaurants, concerts and other public venues.
Integration also makes the community more diverse.
Last updated: February 10, 2014