Skip Navigation >>

Advancing the Human & Civil Rights of People with Disabilities in Illinois


Cases We Don’t Handle

There are some types of cases we don’t handle.  If you contact us for help with a case that we don’t handle, we will refer you to other organizations that may be able to help you.  You may also visit our Helpful Referrals page to find an attorney or legal services provider who may be able to help you.   For more information about cases we don’t handle, see the questions and answers below.

I have a disability.  Can you handle my case?

It depends.  We only handle cases that are related to disability.  We do not handle cases that are unrelated to disability even if the person has a disability.  For example, we would not handle your case if you have a disability but feel you were discriminated against at your job because of your race or gender (and not your disability).

Also, we do not handle the following types of cases:

  • Assistance becoming the guardian of an individual with a disability (See Priorities, Guardianship Link)
  • Bankruptcy
  • Child custody
  • Consumer law not involving assistive technology
  • Criminal defense
  • Divorce
  • Employment benefits (short- and long-term disability, retirement)
  • Estate planning (preparing a trust or will)
  • Immigration
  • Medical or professional malpractice
  • Out-of-state issues
  • Personal injury claims
  • Social Security applications and appeals
  • Traffic violations
  • Unemployment insurance
  • Workers compensation

I do not have a disability.  Can you handle my case?

Probably not.  To qualify for our services, you must be a person with a disability.  There are a few exceptions where we may be able to help people who have been discriminated against because someone believes they have a disability, because they are associated with someone who has a disability, or because their child has a disability.   But in general, we handle cases only for people who have a disability and who have an issue related to their disability.

Can you help me find a job, housing or financial assistance?

In general, we do not help people find jobs, housing or financial assistance.  We do provide legal help to eliminate barriers in employment and housing.  However, we do not provide non-legal case management or other social services.  If you are seeking non-legal case management or social services, we recommend that you contact your local Center for Independent Living (CIL).  A CIL is a community-based organization run by and for people with disabilities that offers services and support for people with disabilities.

What Next?

If you need help with a case we don’t handle, please visit our Helpful Referrals page to find an attorney or legal services provider who can help you.  If you are unsure what type of case you have, feel free to contact us so we can determine if we can help you.


Green circle clip art with the word MORE written inside it.



Last updated: May 20, 2020

This website is made possible by funding support from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, both the Administration on Developmental Disabilities and the Center for Mental Health Services of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; and the U.S. Department of Education, the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services. The contents of this website are solely the responsibility of Equip for Equality and do not necessarily represent the official view of any of these agencies.

Designed & Developed by Firefly Partners