Skip Navigation >>

Advancing the Human & Civil Rights of People with Disabilities in Illinois


Report Abuse & Neglect to Authorities

Where do I report abuse, neglect or exploitation?

For any individual with a disability age 18 or older living in a group home, Community Integrated Living Arrangement (CILA), day or residential program licensed or funded by the Department of Human Services, or a state-run mental health or developmental disability facility call:

Office of inspector General, Department of Human Services
Voice/TTY: 800-368-1463 (* also see note below)


For any nursing home resident, hospital patient or resident of a state run developmental disability facility call:

Department of Public Health
Voice: 800-252-4343
TTY: 800-547-0466


For children ages birth to 17 call:

Department of Children and Family Services
Voice: 800-252-2873
TTY 800-358-5117


For any individual with a disability age 18 or older and adults age 60 or older in a private home call:

Department on Aging
Voice: 866-800-1409 (24 hours)
TTY: 888-206-1327


For individuals residing in supportive living facilities call:

Department of Healthcare and Family Services
Voice/TTY: 800-226-0768


* For an 18- to 21-year-old living in a Department of Children and Family services licensed or funded program, call Department of Children and Family Services. For an 18-21 year old in a private home or school program, call the Department on Aging Adult Protective Services program.


Last updated: June 09, 2020

Designed & Developed by Firefly Partners