Our priorities include:
- Promoting community integration of people with disabilities in all aspects of community life
- Fighting discrimination in accordance with civil rights laws
- Supporting students’ rights to receive an education that meets their needs in the most integrated setting
- Supporting people’s rights to self-determination and to make choices about their personal lives
- Ensuring people are safe from abuse and neglect and that they receive the services and support they need
We have a broad mission compared to other advocacy organizations. We provide a comprehensive array of advocacy programs and legal services statewide. We serve people with diverse disabilities living independently and in public and private community housing and institutions.
We renew our priorities every 3 years, with yearly revisions as needed
Every three years, we adopt a three-year plan and priorities. And we review our three-year plan annually to update it and make revisions as needed. This sets the direction for our advocacy work and guides us on which cases to accept for self-advocacy assistance or legal representation.
- Read Equip for Equality’s current Priorities and Plan (Word document) for a full description of our current goals and plans.
We get input from the disability community
For help, we ask for ideas from people with disabilities and their families; advocacy groups; service providers; and the public. We hold several public forums so people can share their views, and they can offer ideas on our website or by mail.
We’re constantly gathering ideas and suggestions, and we would welcome your thoughts. If you would like to make a suggestion about a problem you think we should address, a new resource you think we should offer, a new project you would like us to undertake, or if you have ideas about how we can improve our programs and services, please complete our survey:
- Online: EFE’s Disability Legal Needs Survey in English
- Online: EFE’s Disability Legal Needs Survey in Spanish
- Printer-Friendly Survey in English
- Printer-Friendly Survey in Spanish
You can send the completed printer-friendly version to:
Equip for Equality
20 N. Michigan, Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60602
Last updated: October 11, 2021